Every year, Pantone announces its Color of the Year. Once they unveil the most anticipated shade to the world, every industry from fashion to home décor to hospitality all follow suit and begin to introduce new items for us to go crazy over. For the most part, the colors that they have chosen over the years have been a little bit more predictable. This year Pantone went a completely different direction when they announced that the 2023 Color of the Year is Viva Magenta!
The Most Popular Pink of 2023
Pantone described Viva Magenta as a “nuanced crimson tone” that brings a balance of cool and warm. “Viva Magenta is an unconventional shade for an unconventional time,” Pantone said in a statement, saying that the color is a hybrid of our existence in the physical and digital world. How cool!
Viva Magenta’s Natural Origin
Though it may seem as if this color was chosen for more fashionable reasons, the executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, Leatrice Eiseman, says that the color choice was actually inspired by nature. They took inspiration from the natural red dye derived from cochineals – a small insect.
Now that the color has been announced, people are already out shopping for home accents in this fun shade of pink. Unfortunately, since the color just debuted, you may not find much for your home but you can always purchase smaller items like clothes and shoes. Just know that the Viva Magenta home décor is on the way! We predict that by Valentine’s Day 2023, the world will experience a Viva Magenta whirlwind!
Viva Magenta in the Home
Most people probably won’t opt into buying a Viva Magenta couch but we do expect to see people incorporate this fun hue into their décor. Here are a few ways to add pops of Viva Magenta into your home.
- Add a beautiful rug – An area rug is always a good way to ease into colorful décor. Adding a nice, hot pink rug will make your space feel chic and will no doubt be an unexpected twist in any room.
- Bright accessories – Small accent pieces like vases and lamps are non-permanent but still very impactful.
- Fancy throw blankets – You can throw a Viva Magenta blanket across your couch and instantly add the wow factor to your living room.
- Wallpaper – If you want to really step outside your comfort zone, do a Viva Magenta accent wall. This is a great option for the bedroom, dining room or even a small powder room.
- Colored furniture – Find a small piece of furniture like an ottoman or a pair of armchairs. Let the furniture items stand alone to create a look that is elevated and cohesive.
- Window Treatments – Bold colored curtains will up the ante in your home. And it’s still not a permanent addition so if you absolutely hate your Viva Magenta curtains you can take them down as fast as you put them up.
More Than Just a Color
Pantone states that their ultimate goal is not to just promote a color. There is so much more to it than that. Their aim is to “help companies and consumers better understand the power color can have.” Pantone’s Color of the Year does in fact influence purchasing behaviors, so it will be interesting to see how much Viva Magenta we will be seeing around every industry in 2023.
Now that we know Pantone’s Color of the Year, are you planning to incorporate Viva Magenta into your home?
Arianne Ortiz is a skilled and client-focused real estate and marketing professional from the South Bay area of Los Angeles. She attended Cal State University Dominguez Hills and earned her MBA from University of Phoenix.
Ari became a licensed realtor in 2019 and sold millions in real estate using the experience and expertise she gained working in the marketing industry. She is extremely passionate about the magic of marketing, storytelling and the power of influence.
Ari is a mom to two daughters and the cutest Shih Tzu ever, Louie! She is an incurable optimist who enjoys personal development, traveling, trying new hotspots with her husband and hosting family gatherings at her home in the San Fernando Valley.